Mid of 2003 the DHV (German Hang gliding Association) decided to tighten the requirements for the 1-2 class. Wings are now only allowed to surge forward for 45 degrees after an asymmetric collapse (even accelerated). New 1-2 wings need to be a lot less dynamic after collapses than those of the older 1-2 class. We worked to build a successor to our successful model ARTAX at least as good as the wing we would have built had there been no changes in the certification rules.
With the MAMBOO we found the right balance. The brake pressure is light but the feedback is still good. The glider needs only a little input to react but the brake travel is still long enough for the 1-2 certification. Although the wing is agile and very dynamic in turns, the thermalling performance in weak lift is the best we have ever had in this class.
Our test pilots made lots of careful comparison flights to measure the performance of the MAMBOO. Of course the computer made some very accurate simulations, but real wing to wing comparisons with a reference wing is still essential.
Picture of the Computer simulation of air airstream around the MAMBOO wing.
See the Know How section for more pics.
|The MAMBOO has the following changes over the ARTAX: |
- much greater flat and projected aspect ratios ->less drag
- smaller surface -> speed, dynamic
- newly developed airfoil -> more performance, smoother collapses, better handling
- more aggressive sail tensions -> handling, wing rigidity
- cleaner surface -> less flare, fewer wrinkles
- canopy curve, longer lines -> handling, roll stability
- line geometry (the MAMBOO has main D lines) -> more defined shape in the trailing edge, better handling
- new wingtip shape -> better aerodynamic efficiency
- some new internals (holes, diagonals..) -> better inflation, stiffer, cleaner build-up
- speed system -> more speed
What remains unchanged:
- number of cells
- sweep angle
- position of intakes
- some materials: the MAMBOO is still built from the very robust Gelvenor cloth, enabling us to give also the 3 years material and the 1 year full protect guarantee!
The MAMBOO is a high performance wing in the DHV 1-2 class for occasional pilots.
Corresponding pilot profile:
|Exp. regular pilot||100%|
|Cross Country pilot||80%|
[an error occurred while processing this directive]Here you will find the technical data of the MAMBOO compared to others.
Mamboo XS, Mamboo S, Mamboo M, Mamboo L
Visit the [an error occurred while processing this directive]Photo Gallery!
Manual, Lineplans, ... :
Have a look on the [an error occurred while processing this directive]Downloads page!